E-1 / E-2

The Immigration and Nationality Act provides nonimmigrant visa status for a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation or bilateral investment treaty who is entering the United States to carry on substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, principally between the United States and the treaty country (E-1 Treaty Trader), or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the national has invested or is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital (E-2 Treaty Investor).

A list of E-1/E-2 treaty members


The H-1B visa is available to individuals who hold a specialty occupation, which requires the practical and theoretical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge requiring completion of a specific course of higher education. Such classification requires a labor attestation issued by the Department of Labor.

News article about H-1B Visas


The L-1 visa applies to intra-company transferees who, within the three preceding years, have been employed abroad continuously for one year and who will be employed by a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of that same employer in the United States in an executive, managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity.


The O-1 visa is available for foreign individuals who have extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, business, education, or athletics, or extraordinary achievements in the motion picture and television fields.

News article about O Visas