The F and M visa categories apply to aliens wishing to study in the United States. The F visa is for academic studies and the M visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies.


The J-1 visa exchange visitor program is geared towards promoting the interchange of persons, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and sciences. Participants include:

  • trainees obtaining on-the-job training with firms, institutions, and agencies
  • students at all academic levels
  • teachers of primary, secondary, and specialized schools
  • professors coming to teach or do research at institutions of higher learning
  • research scholars
  • professional trainees in the medical and allied fields
  • international visitors entering for the purpose of travel, observation, consultation, research, training, sharing, or demonstrating specialized knowledge or skills, or participating in organized people-to-people programs.


The Q-1 visa is available to participants in an international cultural exchange program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and the sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of the visitor’s home country.